Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Insight into a Patient's Heart

Was led to some thinking lately, probably with a certain ulcer that grew at the back on my right jaw muscle that refrained me from moving my jaw. That was a period of 4 days. Those four days I experienced difficulty eating, talking and sleeping.

To make things worse, the second day of such a fix (I would classify) was boosted with another growth of ulcer on the left underside of my fore lips. Brilliant, a disabled back jaw muscle on the right and a supplement to go with, with an ulcer on the front – the left.

Eating was horrible; I practically had to stuff food into my mouth, for I couldn’t control my mouth. Food tasted meaningless to me, other than to fill my grumbling gastric. Eat mouthful was stinging pain, and could get choking when things don’t fit into my buccal cavity. Sorry for the scientific terms, I meant mouth.

In the midst of my grumbles, a thought fell upon me. I was glad I could still grumble, and type my frustration to friends online. There was a minute population on earth that do not have that luxury. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a couple of ulcers, as long as they could type or grumble.

Stroke patients.

It dawned upon my mind their inability to voice their concerns, their emotions… and that’s probably why we don’t even understand why they cry. I’ve never closely known a stroke patient, and don’t really know how they feel. This little uncomfortable event I’ve experienced the past few days have led me into such an insight that I stopped complaining about my little ‘discomfort’. I can’t help but just grieve at the fact that these individuals may have to suffer in such a closed up world, for maybe the last few years of their lives… I would say that is misery.

Beyond this realisation, I began to put myself in their shoes… all that I was grumbling about became part of what they could possibly be thinking all the time. Being fed all meals a day, having food shoved into their mouths, yet still drooling and having scraps of food fallen all over their face and shirts at that age, it’s a helpless feeling. During my short period of ‘misery’, I faced the same challenges – trying to shove food in and having them fall all over, spending double the time eating, as I usually required.

I began to use these events as a way that God was leading me to the hearts of stroke/disable patients, that brought me back to an event last Christmas with my Live Group – Bring-a-smile.



That day bringing a smile to many elderly people in the nursing home with a cheerful Gospel play was our purpose. After the play, we headed around to bless them with gifts, cards and biscuits.

They were blessed and happy, but there were some residents who seemed pretty unresponsive. I would say I didn’t have much courage to approach them, and the only time I grabbed the courage, the resident didn’t respond, but look me in the eye. I stood back there, and looked him back in the eye too, of course with a smile. A little more courage, I asked a question, “Merry Christmas. Did you enjoy the show?”

There was no response, but he looked me in the eye.

I stood there a little while longer, and I was lost for words, and could only just stand there, and look at my other friends who were speaking so happily to others. I took a step back, smiled and pointed to the resident there was elsewhere I was heading to. And I walked off.

It was hard, especially when I didn’t know him, or the things he was going through, whether he understood me or liked the show.

But now I hope I know, and understand how he was feeling. It returned to me, the scene, and I believe he was blessed by the performance, and the gifts. But he couldn’t respond to us. Maybe looking me in the eye was the only thing he could do. But I didn’t know.

I wish I was given more education on how to handle such situations. But I believe it’s not too late to learn. And I really thank God for what seemed to be an insight into the heart of another individual who may be slightly different from me. Yet we all have emotions, it’s the expression that could be different.

Was checking out a website and saw a comment written by someone:

Since my loved one’s stroke, we can no longer talk together. How will we ever learn to communicate with the new disabilities my loved one has?

It can be done, I believe. Especially when it’s your loved one. I believe they feel your heart each time you spend time with them, communicating (though it may be one sided), but they feel it. And the constant assurance and encouragement (and of course PRAYER) will be greatly appreciated by them.

Just a thought… you can teach them to pray with you! (In their heart).
I haven’t truly experienced this myself, and I may be making it sound pretty simple. But… I believe God will reveal more to me in future when He wills.

And this day I can apply the word contextualise further. Further than what I thought it meant. Will we learn to contextualise to the disabled patients this day?

May I truly remember these 4 days of my life… that I may be able to feel the hearts of disabled patients in future.

No comments: