Friday, January 14, 2011

Covered and Protected through the Unfortunate 2011 Beginnings

Before I had the chance to post up my what 2011 meant for me.... a series of events took their turns in my life.

While I'd like to list them... I thought, never mind. They'll come along... somehow.

First Natural Disaster in my life

The 2011 QLD Flood Disaster appeared on the news in Toowoomba and overnight reached us in Brisbane.
Went to work, had our usual morning coffee together... jumped into the lab to begin work, but before we could really start, a colleague came running in shouting, 'GO HOME NOW! CORONATION DRIVE IS GOING TO FLOOD IN AN HOUR!"

The next hour marked the evacuation of many ones, running home to save their houses where flood waters were already lapping at their door steps. Some others had to rush home to secure their belongings to higher grounds, find a good high ground for their cars... or to evacuate to higher grounds, while some others begin their journey around roads blocked from floodwaters, praying that they will reach home before they get stranded by flood waters.

It was a hectic few hours for Brisbane and their people. The supermarkets were packed to its fullest and non-perishable food and bottled water were being exhausted from their shelves. Supermarket trollies and baskets were almost exhausted and the queues lined all the way to the end of the marts, with people browsing through queue lines.

Overnight, the flood water rose while everyone awaited without knowing exactly what was going to happen... Then over the days... electricity was cut... we waited and hoped for it to come back.. using candles and torches... hoping that our hp batteries won't go flat...

God's Protection and Provision

Through this all, I'm quite thankful with the situation I was in. God had blessed me with a house on a high ground, close to the uni and supermarket. We were safe throughout and right now are even able to help others who are cleaning up their houses, now that the flood waters have subsided a bit more. God also gave me access to electricity through UQ... and even through I had only a little bit of petrol left, God somehow seemed to 'multiply' it for me to drive to the necessary places, to help people and do His work.

Some photos (not in chronological order):

The aftermath of Chais... sad... very sad... :(

The emptied shelves in foodworks..

Brisbane Street in St Lucia

UQ College Road... Algae from lake pushed up by flood waters

Sir Fred Schonell Drive - Nando under water...
Quote from Paul - they will sell chicken soup now?

Then... I unpacked my 'evacuation backpack'... and wonder... if I really had to evacuate.. would I really survive with just these...? Clearly... thank God I didn't need to evacuate... cuz... I think I lack a lot of essentials... and probably packed some weird (fish) stuff in there.. haha.

Now I realise it not about how much I can do... but how much the community can do. I found my friends helping one another.. and even people we don't know. Then also to feed a starving brother...

God's amazing plan

And initially I didn't really like the traffic jam.. but because of that, God enabled me to run a last errand before my dear friend left Brisbane for good... I couldn't stop crying, visiting and saying my goodbyes... and I knew it was God's perfect timing for me to be in that traffic jam, so I could make a last minute right turn and say my goodbyes...

All helping out

Came home and Lee Ying was washing her clothes with Wen. Her stuff were all stained by the river mud as they were submerged in a garage... If not for the unexpected traffic we could be helping her, but it was good to have Wen helping her there...

I guess everyone are doing their part in helping out... whether big or small... or even the simple prayer.. because it all counts. Though I sometimes wish I could do more, but I look at today without regrets... and am extremely thankful to be able to help Elysaa and Wei Ling, and even strangers that I don't know.

Wherever God directs my step.. I will go.
Living not for man, but for God.

The other thing

I guess I won't mention too much about the other few events... But I know God is faithful and will see through all He's begun. I know, faith is believing something you don't yet see... and it's hard when without faith, many ones can grasp hold of everything in their lives so dearly that sometimes find it hard to let go. The uncertainty of futures, and the present... today and tomorrow.

But the God I know... He never ever lets us down. Cuz all that He gives is good... and though what now may seem horrible, when looking back, we saw the path beautifully painted. All that, to give us a hope and a future. He's got plans to prosper us, not to harm us. With faith in God, we give it all up to Him.. let Him drive... ya, when I say let God drive... really, let Him drive. :)

Trust in God. Trust in Jesus. God NEVER fails.

Farewell

Right now... it seems to spell another episode of my life... I'm going to miss you so so so so much.... I can't stop crying... but.. God is good. He's taken you from me again... but we gon make it, wherever we are. I thank God for today... so so much.

Go... double A!

No comments: